Spinjitzu grants the user the ability to create a tornado of a specific element and color around themselves. The user and element (if one is being used) rotates rapidly, allowing fast perception and the ability to hit or spin enemies in the process.
In regards to transportation, the Spinjitzu tornado can move horizontally across surfaces at walking speed, and a bit faster speeds for more experienced users. This speed does not seem to be affected by stairs or still bodies of water. By propelling themselves upwards in a certain direction (using a jump or a running jump) and then doing Spinjitzu, the user can be carried through the air in that direction for a short time. This technique is most commonly used as a boost, but only more experienced users can keep themselves moving through the air long enough for it to be more effective then simply jumping.
The user is also given the ability to wield the Golden Weapons properly. It is unknown if this only applies to those that use the Spinjitzu of the four main elements, or to any user of Spinjitzu. One of the things required to fully master Spinjitzu is to gain one's True Potential, unlocked once the person overcomes a personal problem that was preventing them from being at peace within themselves.
Sensei Wu used Creation Spinjitzu to give the Ninja their new gis.
- Nuckal (only with the Golden Weapons)
- Kruncha (only with the Golden Weapons)
- P.I.X.A.L (only with Zane)
- Morro (possibly with Lloyd's body)
Types of Spinjitzu
- Tornado of Creation - used by the four Ninja
- Creation - used by Wu
- Earth - used by Cole
- Lightning - used by Jay
- Ice - used by Zane
- Fire - used by Kai
- Energy - used by Lloyd Garmadon (and possibly Morro with Lloyd s body)
- Destruction - used by Garmadon (formerly)
- Silver Spinjitzu - used by Misako and Garmadon
- Golden Power - used by Lloyd Garmadon, First Spinjitzu Master, and the Golden Master
- Wind (unseen) – possibly used by Morro and Jay
- Water (possibly) - possibly used by Nya
LEGO Universe Only
- Imagination - used by Neido
- Maelstrom - (non-canon) a power similar to Spinjitzu that the Skulkin wield physically through the act of roughly spinning in a sloppy fashion.
- Each of Ninjago's Dragons are able to perform something similar to Spinjitzu when they cross over to the Underworld.
- Although the element of a user's Spinjitzu is always based on their natural elemental affinity, the color of the resulting tornado appears to be influenced by the color of their outfit. For instance, Zane's Spinjitzu generated a pink tornado in “Can of Worms,” after his white gi was turned pink after being washed with Kai's red gi. This leads to the conclusion that both attire and element contribute to the Spinjtizu's color (or possibly that it defaults to the elemental color, and only if the user's attire is entirely one color does it change).
- Cole is an exception, however, as his Spinjitzu tornado is brown rather than black. Similarly, Sensei Wu usually wears white, but creates a golden Spinjitzu tornado.
- In “Return of the Overlord,” a Dark Matter-infected Nya uses what appears to be a crimson Spinjitzu tornado when she first attacks the Ninja.
- It is unknown if the secondary elements are used in Spinjitzu.
- Its appearance resembles a tornado.
- It's similar to another Elemental form known as Airjitzu, which grants the user temporary flight.
- This indicates that Sensei Yang somehow learned Spinjitzu, and then developed Airjitzu.
- Spinjitzu used by someone without an elemental affinity (such as Misako) will be silver.
- Though never explained how, Morro may have used Spinjitzu to have passed the first test of the Tomb of the First Spinjitzu Master.