|“I wish that you had taken my hand, and no one ever found that teapot in the first place.”|
|— Jay's last wish|
|Weapon of choice||Nunchucks of Lightning|
Lightning Elemental Blade
Lightning Techno Blade
Golden Twin Katanas
|First Appearance||Way of the Ninja|
2259 Skull Motorbike
LEGO Battles: Ninjago
Jay: Ninja of Lightning (book)
|Voiced by||Michael Adamthwaite|
Jay was recruited by Sensei Wu to train to become a ninja alongside Cole and Zane. The trio's first test was to attack Kai who would soon become the fourth ninja - much to their discontent. Yet the four became close friends and fought together in many battles against the Serpentine and other adversaries. Jay was also the first ninja to master Spinjitzu and the second to unlock his True Potential.
Jay later helped to fight against the Stone Army, a legion of indestructible warriors led by Garmadon and The Overlord. After Lloyd defeated the Overlord and his father was turned back to normal, peace resumed in Ninjago until Pythor returned, aiding the Overlord in becoming the Golden Master and commanding the Nindroid army. The Ninja clashed with the robots, and in the end the Overlord was destroyed, but Zane's life was seemingly taken in the process - sending Jay and the other Ninja off into other occupations, as they were saddened by the loss of their friend. Jay became the host of a game show.
When Lloyd attempted to get the team back together, Kai was very reluctant, as were Jay and Cole, but when they found out that Zane is still alive, they joined together once more. The ninja, accompanied by Sensei Garmadon, journied to Chen's Island to compete in the mysterious Tournament of Elements. When Chen's true plans unfolded, and all the competitors of the Tournament allied together, Ninjago was put in danger once more, but the threat was eliminated when Chen's army was defeated at the Corridor of Elders.
With Zane back in the action, the Ninja were whole once more, as they battled an army of ghosts led by Morro who were released from the Cursed Realm. During this time, Jay was the second ninja to successfully perform Airjitzu. After a lengthy journey to find the Tomb of the First Spinjitzu Master, the team assaulted the army of apparitions at Stiix before the Cursed Realm was destroyed upon The Preeminent's destruction.
With the Cursed Realm and its inhabitants destroyed, he and the other Ninja became celebrities under the management of Dareth, but after a run in with Nadakhan, he became wanted by the police and learned the truth of his past. After the notorious Djinn trapped the other Ninja into his powerful sword, Jay and Nya battled Nadakhan's remaining forces. In the end, Jay used up his last wish to reverse all the events before the encounter of Nadakhan and rekindled his relationship with Nya.
Jay was the son of the actor who plays Fritz Donnegan. His adoptive parents, inventors Ed and Edna Walker, the owners of a large junkyard, raised him as their own after finding him as a baby on their doorstep.
At some point, he left his home to test one of his inventions, a set of Mechanical Wings. The wings worked well, but Jay ended up crashing into a billboard. As he picked himself up on the rooftop he fell onto, he met Sensei Wu and learned of his potential to become a Ninja. Interested by the old man's offer, Jay took up residence at the Monastery of Spinjitzu and began his training, meeting Cole and Zane in the process.
Finding the Golden Weapons
Ninjago at Peace
Jay flew Nya back to Four Weapons with his Lightning Dragon (now named "Wisp"), so she could gather her things and move in with the Ninja. Unbeknownst to him, Nya was attacked by Wyplash and three of his minions within the shop. The sound of a fight caught his attention, prompting him to hurry into the blacksmith, only to find Nya calmly packing the rest of her possessions. He asked her what the sound was, but she replied that it was "just some Samurai helmets and stuff." With that, Jay and Nya climbed aboard the Lightning Dragon and flew back to the Monastery of Spinjitzu.
Although Sensei Wu told the Ninja to continue their training, they opted to spend their time racing on their dragons. Jay won the race one day, and began bragging that he was the best Ninja because of it. In response, Cole challenges his friends to another race, with the winner becoming "Dragon Master" for a month.
During the race, Cole and Jay sped through the forest, with Wisp's agility allowing it to dodge around the trees. The group approached the Monastery neck and neck, but Cole arrived first by dangling a chicken in front of his dragon's nose. When Cole proclaimed himself "Dragon Master" for a month, Jay and the others claimed that they never agreed to those terms, challenging the Black Ninja to another race the next day.
One night, while the Ninja were sleeping, Kruncha and Nuckal infiltrated the Monastery of Spinjitzu to steal the Golden Weapons. Jay proved to be the most difficult Ninja to separate from his weapon, as he was cradling the Nunchucks of Lightning in his arms, but the skeletons managed to replace the nunchucks with a cotton candy cone before Jay could wake up and notice the switch. Luckily for the Ninja, Kruncha and Nuckal quickly discovered that they could not control the Golden Weapons, causing them to accidentally activate the training course and batter each other with out-of-control Spinjitzu.
Jay was stirred from his slumber when he heard Kai yelling that the training course had turned itself on again. In response to Kai's demand for the glitch to be fixed, Jay grumpily yelled that he would look at it in the morning, apparently unaware that his weapon had been replaced in his arms. He was soon fast asleep once more, preventing him from noticing the Skulkin Generals replacing the Nunchucks of Lightning in his arms before making their exit.
Return of the Serpentine
The Final Battle
The Overlord's Return
The Tournament of Elements
Quest for the Tomb of the Spinjitzu Master
Jay is revealed to have told Zane about what he saw in his reflection in the Tomb and is told by him to tell Cole. However, he refuses since they have finally become friends again.
Having short, orange-brown hair, Jay generally wears blue clothing to represent his elemental color. On his unique-looking frowning expression, he has a notch in his right eyebrow.
Since "The Royal Blacksmiths", Jay wore a blue jacket with a white stripe over a white t-shirt and blue pants for his casual clothes. He wore a blue bandana over his hair in Season 6.
From "My Dinner With Nadakhan" to "Wishmasters," Jay wore a dark blue eye patch over his left eye. Briefly in "The Way Back," during a battle with the Sky Pirates, he wears a similar second eyepatch over the same eye that is black instead of dark blue.
For more images on Jay's appearance in his different ninja suits, click here.
Jay is the most light-hearted of all the Ninja. He is always telling jokes, most of which are only funny to himself. He usually does this to cover up fear or anxiety, as revealed in Season 6. He enjoys boasting about his abilities, much to the annoyance of the others, but he proves to be a good friend and a skilled fighter. He is also somewhat high-strung, typically being the first to panic in stressful situations.
Jay is fond of inventing, technology, and the color blue. Technologically, Jay is the smartest out of all the six Ninjas; this is because he is raised in a junkyard. Jay also has a crush on Nya, and often stumbles on his words around her, although they both eventually reveal their feelings for each other.
Weapons and AbilitiesWind: Jay has been seen using the element of wind in a small vortex, but only once. It is assumed to be a side power associated with his main element: lightning.
Jay can harness the power of Lightning to create a Spinjitzu tornado of pure electricity. His lightning powers were enhanced further by the Nunchucks of Lightning, and later by his Elemental Blade. In close-range combat, he favors nunchucks, but has used katanas and various improvised weapons on occasion.
Jay has an eye for machines and gadgets, being in charge of repairing and maintaining the various technology at the Ninja's disposal. He was responsible for restoring the Destiny's Bounty to a functional state and equipping it with the modifications needed to make it fly. Over time, his inventing side was less emphasized, due to Nya and Dr. Julien taking up the role of gadgeteer, but Jay's skill with technology should not be underestimated.
Jay is the ninja of Lightning, a talented inventor with a crazy sense of humor and a huge crush on Nya. He loves all the new technology around today, although his efforts to take it apart and figure it out have led to more than a few explosions. He even has a Cyrus Borg poster on the wall of his room. Although the ninja have been through many fearsome fights, Jay is still the same fast-talking adventurer he has always been. Even Nindroids cannot get this ninja down. But he can sometimes make his teammates crazy!
- When Jay uses his electrical powers to his fullest, he creates 1.21 gigawatts.
- Jay once invented a Spinjitzu powered slingshot … but it backfired.
- Sometimes Jay wakes up in his sleep because he accidentally zaps himself.
- Jay's favourite dancing style is electric boogie.
- Jay and Nya once went dancing on a date, but it spun out of control.
- Jay only has four Character Cards, as his DX card was never made.
- Therefore, Jay is the only ninja without his actual golden weapon on a character card.
- Jay was the second Ninja to find his true potential, the first being Zane.
- He only has three spinners (not counting Lloyd), whereas all the other Ninja have at least four.
- He was the first of the Ninja to learn Spinjitzu, the second to unlock his True Potential, the third to find his Golden Weapon, and the fourth to find his own Obsidian Weapon.
- Jay's first name may be a pun on the bird Blue Jay, since his elemental color is blue. His full name, Jay Walker, may be a pun on the term "jaywalk." This would later be somewhat averted upon the revelation that his true name is Jay Gordon.
- Jay's inventions are said to fill entire warehouses, some of which he cannot remember the names or functions of. Some of his inventions are:
- A blanket that can keep you cold on warm nights.
- A parchment that can be written on or stretched into a waterproof tent.
- A device that cores apples off of the tree before they are picked.
- Extendable stilts. This invention apparently malfunctioned on its first use, repeatedly bouncing Jay up and down between six feet and 60 feet. After a hundred bounces in the span of two minutes, Jay was dizzy for a month.
- Jay is currently the only Ninja other than Lloyd to possess multiple elements. He has element of Lightning as well as Wind.
- In "Shadow of Ronin" when the Ninja are about to get Jay's Obsidian Nunchucks in the Floating Ruins, Jay remembers himself saying that they are being followed, when originally it was Zane who said that.
- Jay's elemental symbol is the Chinese character "羊", meaning "sheep."
- It is revealed in On a Wish and a Prayer that Cole is Jay's best friend
- In "Misfortune Rising," he was revealed to be an adopted child. His true father was Cliff Gordon the actor who played his hero, Fritz Donnegan.
- He is the only Ninjago character to appear in every episode of the series.
- Jay and the other Ninja (except Nya) can on harness their elemental powers by being dependent on Lloyd. This may due because Lloyd shares his Golden Power with them.